OK thanks good spotting. What is going on I think is as follows:
If avast directory did not exists av_avast was just not able to store the "last update time" in "avast/lastupdate.dat" and as a result you would see "(none since startup)" in the surgemail admin display even though this did not affect the actual running of the virus database update and the update itself should still have been working fine so you should still have had the actual latest virus database (as displayed in the surgemail admin status).
The surgemail/avast directory should have been created by the original install script of the NetWin modified avast distribution, but for the current recommended avast distribution this directory would not have been getting created.
I have just fixed surgemail so that if this directory for whatever reason does not exist when surgemail initiates a background update it will create the directory, but for this tweaked behaviour you would need version: 6.4b-17+
I'm not sure why it was removed for you and I expect it would have been some form of manual action on your part??
So all in all very nice to get fixed, but safe to ignore.
On Monday 17/06/2013 at 4:45 am, JDL wrote:
Just an update, I manually created the /usr/local/surgemail/avast/ directory and it now contains a lastupdate.dat file. The Avast status on the web interface now shows "Last update run 0.7 hrs ago SUCCESS".
On Jun 16, 2013, at 11:43 AM, JDL <HIDDEN@agineNet.net> wrote:
I noticed the following today in the Avast status:
Last update run (none since startup)
Avast scanner uptime 3 days 09:37:18
I have g_virus_avast_hour set to "0,6,12,18", so I was confused as to why there were no updates. I know that it has been working fine up until a few days ago. I checked av_avast.log and found the following.
15 01:53:35:Err: Could not store status (SUCCESS) in avast/lastupdate.dat - No such file or directory
I did not delete any directories recently. The only thing I did recently was to upgrade to special build 6.4b-14. I am not sure if a path changed but the directory was not automatically created or if something was automatically deleted during the upgrade. I am going to manually create /usr/local/surgemail/avast/ (assuming that it where it should be) and see if that fixes the problem.
Imagine Net, Inc.